Walking the Walk
Updated: Oct 13
There’s a lot of talk about compassionate solutions for people experiencing homelessness who resort to living on the streets. As the old saying goes, talk is cheap, but recent statistics on the homeless crisis show Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell is putting words into
action. In fact, homelessness decreased 23% in CD 13 since 2020, according to the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority.
According to information from CD 13, the council district is:
• Building more affordable and supportive housing
• Creating more interim housing
• Investing in supplemental outreach services.
• Introducing robust tenant protections and creating rental relief.
• Converting existing building stock into housing
• Pioneered the city’s first-ever model of unarmed crisis response
In his report, Councilmember O’Farrell noted that CD 13’s comprehensive approach is
effective and urges the City to adapt these measures across Los Angeles. Silver Lake
Together applauds the CD13 team for “walking the walk” and putting words into action.